The National Association of School Nurses defines school nursing as a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success, and life-long achievement of students. At the ACLD Tillotson School, we believe that the health status of the child has a direct relationship to his or her educational achievement - a healthy learner will be more successful! Parents have the basic responsibility for the health of their children; the school's role is to help parents recognize and carry out their responsibility. The school nurse's role includes the following:
- Monitor immunizations and maintain health records for all students
- Assess and treat illness and injury
- Provide emergency care
- Manage chronic health conditions in the school setting
- Provide yearly health screenings
- Administer medication and provide necessary nursing care.
- Promote and/or provide health-related educational programs for students, staff and families
- Serve as a resource for families, students and staff
The ACLD Tillotson School adheres to the NASN definitition of school nursing and complies with the role and responsibilities of the school nurse.